Thursday, March 17, 2011

American Girls in Croatian Gymnastics


Ready for gymnastics

Lucy and Georgie started gymnastics this week at a club a minute or so away from our apartment (right next to Jonah’s soccer field).   Their class meets on Monday and Thursday from 5-6pm.  They do a lot of warming up, which wears Georgie out, after which they apparently do kid gym type exercises -- which they really enjoy.   I’m not exactly sure what they do, because parents don’t stay for the class.  They are not loitering in the hallway either, so I can only assume they all going out for a pre-dinner brandy.  I waved the ignorant foreign parent flag and managed to stay for the first ten minutes of their first class, but then the isolation of being the only parent in the room got to me and I exited.  I got permission to enter the gym to take these pictures from their second class (tonight’s class), but sadly, I don’t get to see their cute little exercises firsthand.   There is even a door right next to the gymnastics entryway that says “BALCON”, but that door is locked so I’m here on a bench in the hallway.

There are probably 25 kids in the class aged 4-6, with the head teacher, and three or four twenty-something assistants, a couple of whom speak nice English and looked like they were taking good care of the girls.  Lucy told me that a blonde teacher was a real chatterbox, so one of the teachers must be a pleased to be able to exercise her English language skills.  And tonight, once, I heard all the kids counting to ten in English.  The class costs just 150 kuna a month per girl -- about $30.  I pay the bill at the post office, get the receipt, and the girls turn that in once a month and they turn in a type of attendance card each class (it gets returned to them at the end of the class).  We also paid a once-a-year gym gymnastics club membership. 

It’s taken us six weeks to get the girls signed up for this class, when it was only a block away and we’re practically here four times a week for soccer, but like they say, better late than never.  Incidentally, I left Jonah home alone for the first time ever to bring the girls here.
After class

In class

Outside the gymnastics club